We Created a Laboratory for Local News — Here is What We’ve Learned So Far
Last week Molly de Aguiar and I released “Lessons From the Local News Lab: Building a More Connected and Collaborative News Ecosystem.”
The report is meant to be a resource for people who are interested in innovation in journalism and media, especially at the local level. It collects our lessons from a series of creative experiments in developing new revenue models and piloting community driven reporting projects.
The report features advice on:
- How to turn a crowdfunding campaign into a membership program.
- How to make space to test big ideas while maintaining the day-to-day work of running a newsroom.
- How to invite the community into the reporting process.
- How to structure collaborations with other newsrooms.
- How foundations can support more sustainable and resilient local news.
We’ve also published all the chapters as posts here on Medium — you can find them below.
Lessons From the Local News Lab: Building a More Connected and Collaborative News Ecosystem
Part One: Introduction and Key Takeways
Part Four: How New Networks Can Strengthen Local News
Part Five: Rethinking Journalism Philanthropy
Part Six: What’s Next for the Local News Lab